At Nuance, we empower people with the ability to seamlessly interact with their connected devices and the digital world around them. We are creating a world where technology thinks and acts the way people do by designing the most human, natural, and intuitive ways of interacting with technology.
Our nimble technology uses analytics and advanced algorithms to transform the inanimate into animate and reduce complicated processes into simple ones.
Join our Mobile team…intelligent systems now ready for the road. We are passionate about developing intelligent interfaces that enable people to talk to their cars, phones, devices, and other smart “things”.
Summary: As a Principal Voice User Interface Designer, you will be designing the user experience primarily for speech-enabled mobile applications and IoT devices. As lead Designer, you will be the authority on best practices in user-centered design. Your successes will be measured by your relationships with customers and the team; and the positive impression your designs leave in the minds of user.
Responsibilities: The role of the Mobile User Interface designer is to act as design advocate for the user of mobile connected devices and to provide best practices to our customers to maximize the user experience of the various speech enabled solutions.
Essential responsibilities/duties of the position:
• Design new features using data analysis of existing users, define new features, write user stories and create interaction specifications.
• Participate in solution and UX design meetings and contribute to the end-to-end solution design
• Provide UX best practice documentation and workshops tailored to the customer’s solution requirements and design across verticals and devices.
• Consultative support for customer UX inquiries and investigations
• Usability testing best practices for speech recognition applications
• UX Usability review(s) of mobile and GUI interface
• Initial post-launch analysis and review with customer of key application performance indicators to re-evaluate and confirm validity of solution design
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
Number of Years of Work Experience: minimum of 7
• 7-8 years of relevant voice/UI design experience.
• Creativity and the ability to work in an innovative and consultative environment.
• Motivated to work with PS leaders and Sales to recommend creative design solutions that lead to new business
• Highly independent and capable of fulfilling multiple project commitments concurrently
• Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as the ability to work as part of a project team
• Ability to develop and confidently deliver presentations to customers and internal teams.
• Ability to scope work taking technical, business and time-frame constraints into consideration
• Experience with Speech Design / Speech User Interface / Natural Language Speech User Interface design is a plus.
• Professional writing experience.
• Experience creating UI/UX for connected devices (TV, wearables, VA) a plus. Understanding mobile design patterns and their application when creating UI task flows and artifacts.
Education: B.S./B.A. or equivalent experience in human factors engineering, product interface design, linguistics, cognitive science, experimental psychology, technical writing, or a related field.
Nuance offers a compelling and rewarding work environment. We offer market competitive salaries, bonus, equity, benefits, meaningful growth and development opportunities and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our continuing success.
Nuance Communication Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement is available here. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 781-565-5000 – Human Resources Department and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.